Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dark Bittersweet Chocolate

Today I testified to a Grand Jury. This meant I related the most intimate details of my life in explicit detail to people I'd never met. It wasn't as bad as a trial, just myself, the prosecutor, the foreman(representative of the Grand Jury), a stenographer, and twenty people I'd never met before in my life.

As I sat there looking at the jurors, just as they were looking at me, I couldn't help noticing how they were from all walks of life. A young woman my own age, probably a student, another young man, a fatherly type directly in the center of the room, and several jurors the age of grandparents. I tried to put myself in their shoes, listening to the testimony of a young woman who had been mistreated in so many ways. I wondered what they thought of me, how did I look to them?

I felt fine, and the time almost flew by. Suddenly halfway through the day, I got this terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, and it won't go away as hard as I try to push my mood up. Though I know I am not the cause of my brother's going to jail, he sent himself to jail, there is still a small part of me that feels terrible. So if today were a flavor of chocolate it would be Dark Bittersweet Chocolate.

1 comment: